Muay Thai is a deadly cultural martial art of Thailand that involves high intensity stand up strikes combined with various clinching techniques. It is also known as the “Art of Eight Limbs” because the fighting and defense technique uses the pair of fists, elbows, knees and shins. Muay Thai training requires a considerable amount of physical and mental discipline for continuous practice, which increases the efficiency of a full-contact fighter. The history of Muay Thai dates back hundreds of years, and much of the written records of this boxing culture was lost during the Burmese attack on the capital city of Siam (Thailand).
Muay Thai trains the body to be used as the lethal weapons of war where the hands mimic the actions of the swords and daggers, the shins and forearms act as protective armour, the elbows function as hammer and the legs and knees work as the axe.
Gloves – The Most Important Muay Thai Gear
The most important training gear that must be present in a Muay Thai fighter’s gym bag is a pair or two of Muay Thai boxing gloves. The Thai boxing gloves are an integral part of the training equipment that is necessary for safe practice. The two hands are the main weapons of the fighter and fighting without protective gloves can break the fighter’s knuckles and spoil the nerves of his wrist forever.
Those who train for Muay Thai kickboxing can actually have two pair of gloves – one ten ounce pair for the pad and bag hits and another sixteen ounce pair for the drilling and sparring moves. It must be kept in mind that specially designed Muay Thai gloves are quite different from cheap boxing gloves. Muay Thai gloves are longer at the wrist that provides better support and protection for the hands and wrists.
Tips for Choosing the Best Muay Thai Gloves
Being one of the most important protective equipments in Muay Thai training, the gloves should be selected with great care in order to ensure complete protection.
- The first and foremost thing is to choose a pair of gloves with correct size and weight.
- Various Muay Thai gloves are designed for various purposes. So know your pick carefully.
- Sparring gloves are good for striking, blocking and clinching, whereas boxing sparring gloves are suitable for blocking and striking.
- The weight of the gloves depends on the method used by the fighter and his/her body structure.
- 8 oz gloves are suitable for competitive boxers
- 10 oz gloves are suitable for competitive boxers
- 12 oz gloves are suitable for women and people with small hand size
- 14 oz gloves are suitable for average sized people
- 16 oz gloves are suitable for people of all sizes and frames
- 18 oz gloves are suitable people with heavy weight
- 20 oz gloves are suitable for people with heavy weight
- Muay Thai fighters use gloves of different size and weight depending on their build and body type.
- Make sure that the glove you choose fits snugly without leaving much room for the hands to move inside.
- Don’t forget to wear hand wraps before putting on the gloves.
10 Best Muay Thai Boxing Gloves for the Ultimate Training
Provide complete protection to your hands and deliver the power-packed punches by selecting the right pair of Muay Thai boxing gloves.
Everlast Pro Style Training Gloves
Everlast is a reliable and reputed name in the world of sports equipments and the Everlast Pro Style Training Gloves is a complete protection training glove for badass training. The full padding on the front and back of the gloves along with the extended wrist cover gives comprehensive protection to the knuckles and supports the wrist movement. The snug fitting of the gloves minimizes movement of the fingers within the gloves and prevents injury. The gloves are available in 12, 14 and 16 ounce varieties making it perfectly suitable for women and men of all built.
- Comes in 3 different weights – 12 ounce, 14 ounce and 16 ounce
- Thumb lock feature of additional safety
- Concealed Velcro to prevent scratching while clinching
- Easy hook-and-loop closure
- Advanced Sweat Technology
- Allows knuckle movement to some extent
- Not suitable for sparring
Venum Challenger 2.0 Boxing Gloves
Venum is a well-known combat sports brand that specializes in equipments for Mixed Martial Arts. The Venum Challenger 2.0 Boxing Gloves is the ultimate Muay Thai equipment for those training at the beginner or intermediate level. The gloves are made of triple density protective foam for advanced shock absorption and lasting hand protection. The thick Velcro closure embedded with elastic ensures customized fit and safety. The durable PU leather offers long lasting performance. The Venum Challenger 2.0 is designed in Thailand following advanced technology.
- Premium synthetic leather for durability
- Breathable Interior Mesh for Comfort of the hands
- Curved Anatomical Shape with reinforced palms and fully attached thumbs
- Secure Velcro Enclosure to ensure secure fit and support
- Smaller than usual hand space
Hayabusa Tokushu Gloves
Designed following advanced research, the Hayabusa Tokushu gloves are the ultimate Muay Thai training gloves that contain the advanced Deltra EG inner core that ensures the highest level of impact for maximizing performance and protection. The Dual-X wrist closure provides perfect hand and wrist alignment and maximizes striking power. The Ecta carbonized bamboo lining provide comfort, high quality and complete hand protection.
- Patented Dual-X Wrist Close and Fusion Zone for perfect Hand/Wrist Alignment
- Advanced Leather Vylar for matchless performance and durability
- Ecta Activated Carbonized Bamboo Lining for thermoregulation and deodorizing effects
- Available in various weights
TITLE Boxing Pro Style Leather Training Gloves
Take your Muay Thai training to a whole new level with the TITLE Boxing Pro Style Leather Training Gloves, a top quality boxing glove made from full-grain leather shell that ensures durability and long lasting performance. The multi-layer foam covering provides better shock absorption for the fist and back of hands. The wrap around leather wrist strap with hook and loop closure ensures maximum security, support and delivery. The satin nylon inner covering of the hand compartment keeps the hands moisture free and prevents odour.
- Comes in different weights 12 ounce, 14 ounce and 16 ounce
- Easy to secure Velcro strap with hook and loop closure
- High-quality leather covering for long-lasting use
- Not suitable for people with small hand size
Century® Boxing Glove
The Century Boxing Glove is the best training gear for heavy bag workouts that are designed using high density, multi-layered foam coating that ensures complete protection to the hands and wrist enhances impact absorption. The curved construction of the gloves provides comfort to the hands and reduces hand fatigue. The easy hook and loop closure with adjustable wrist wrap provides support and precision to the position of the fist. The tied thumb helps in maintaining proper form to the thumb when delivering the punch.
- High Density, multi-layered foam for impact absorption
- Advanced curved construction to reduce stress on the wrist
- Weighted specifically for youth training
- Not suitable for people with meaty hands or long fingers
Meister Pro Boxing Gloves w/Wrist Support (Pair)
Get complete protection for your arms and wrists with the Meister Pro Boxing Gloves w/ Wrist Support that is ideal for heavy bag training, sparring with partner or fitness workouts. The high-density multi-layered foam coating minimizes impact of the hits and the durable synthetic leather body makes it long lasting. The gloves are available in 12 ounce, 14 ounce and 16 ounce weights that are ideal for both men and women. The enforced wrist closure helps the hands and wrist in an ideal position to deliver powerful punches.
- Suitable for fitness training and bag training
- Ultra durable synthetic leather body for long lasting use
- Molded fingers and thumb form
- Not Enough wrist support
- Not enough padding in around the knuckle area
- Not suitable for boxing
ProForce Leatherette Boxing Gloves w/Red Palm
The ProForce Leatherette Boxing Gloves w/Red Palm is a multipurpose training glove that is suitable for various combat styles right from kickboxing to karate, Muay Thai, cardio kickboxing and fitness training. The high-quality foam protection makes the gloves suitable for martial arts and boxing. The advanced pre-curved design reduces the stress on the fist and wrists. The wrist strap and hook and loop closure makes it easy to wear and take off. The comfortable inner cotton lining provides comfort to the hands and soaks excess sweat. The outer lining is made of quality leatherette to provide a high-end finish.
- Advanced Thumb Lock
- Pre-curved shape for the perfect fit
- Vented palm so that the hands can breathe
- Innovative leatherette material for durability
- Not enough padding for sparring
- Not comfortable hand compartment
Fairtex Gloves Muay Thai Boxing Sparring
The Fairtex Gloves is the complete Muay Thai training equipment that is handmade in Thailand comes in different weights right from 8 ounces to 16 ounces. The all-purpose boxing gloves have a snug fit and protective design to ensure complete protection of the fists and wrists. The outer covering is made of genuine leather to ensure durability and long-lasting use. The thick Velcro wrap around straps provide support to the wrist and promotes powerful delivery of punches.
- Genuine leather outer lining
- Tight fit design for all purpose boxing
- Well fitted for all hand sizes
- Not enough wrist support
- Not precise finishing
- Lack of padding
Authentic RDX Rex Leather Boxing Gloves
The RDX Rex Leather Boxing Gloves are the perfect Thai boxing gloves for light to moderate punching bag training and Muay Thai grappling pads. The protective triple layer contoured padding provides ultimate support and absorbs the impact of the hits. The RDX synthetic leather outer covering is a low-cost alternative to the RDX cowhide boxing gloves. The mesh lining of the hands reduces moisture and keep the palms cool whereas the thick wrap around Velcro closure system ensures compact support to the wrists.
- RDX synthetic leather outer covering is a low-cost alternative
- Triple layer polymax contoured padding for extra protection and comfort of the hands
- Air vents on the palm to keep the palms cool during long training sessions
- Compact wraparound Velcro closure
- Gloves are too sung to fit the wraps
Twins Special Thai Style Training Gloves
These highly functional and durable Muay Thai boxing gloves are made from 10% pure cow skin leather that gives it a soft and smooth texture. The foam padded gloves are ideal for both Muay Thai bag work and sparring. The thick wraps around wrist close with the hook and loop attachment ensures complete safety and protection to the wrists and knuckles and allows the wearer to deliver powerful blows. It also helps in maintaining the wrist in the correct position at all times. The satin nylon inside lining of the gloves absorbs moisture and cuts out odour.
- High-quality cow skin leather outer lining for durability
- Sturdy wrap-around closure with hook and loop attachment for extra security
- Satin nylon inner lining to promote moisture absorption
- Available in various weights
- Excess padding near the fist, making it bulkier
- Excess fist space
Apart from this above list, we have collected an another set of Muay Thai Boxing gloves such as Raja, Windy, King, Tuff, Rival, which we shall share in the form of another article.
So, now that you know the 10 best Muay Thai training gloves and the tips to choose the best gloves, visit a Muay Thai shop today or order your pair of gloves on Amazon online to get on with your training.