Your special occasion is fast approaching, and you don’t have much time to fit into that oh-so-sexy attire that you bought two summers ago? Time is running out and your regular fitness routine is not giving you desired results? It’s time to alter your weight loss program slightly and make time for HIIT or High-Intensity Interval Training. This is one of the scientifically proven ways to burn fat fast. There is no other workout better than HIIT training for weight loss that will make you burn the maximum amount of fat in a short period of time. This workout really helps you slim down and even researchers have found that. HIIT workout plan for weight loss boosts your body’s ability to shed unwanted fat and rearrange fat-to-muscle ratio.
What is High-Intensity Interval Training?
High-Intensity Interval Training is also often referred to as high-intensity intermittent exercise (HIIE) or sprint interval training (SIT). It is a type of fitness regimen that involves anaerobic exercises performed alternately at short periods of time at an increased pace and intensity with short recovery periods. These exercises are designed to increase the heart rate and reach the exhaustion level faster. It is like an intense burst of exercise that is meant to increase your heart activity in minimal time.
Since HIIT training is intense, it lasts not more than 5-30 minutes, including interval and recovery period. The duration can vary depending on the person’s fitness levels. Several studies indicate that HIIT is extremely effective in reducing overall weight and percentage of body fat in the people. Therefore, if you are short on time, HIIT training for weight loss is your savior.
Difference Between Cardio and HIIT
People often confuse HIIT workouts with Cardio. The primary difference between the two is that cardio exercises are aerobic and HIIT workouts are anaerobic. Aerobic exercise requires the body to meet the energy needs with the help of free oxygen. As for anaerobic exercises, they are high-intensity exercises wherein the muscles are deprived of free oxygen. This is why HIIT is beneficial in burning more fat. The fat burning process continues even after 24-48 hours of workout.
Another difference between the two is intensity and duration. While, the intensity of the cardio workout can range from low to high, HIIT, as the name suggests, is rigorous in intensity. Moreover, Cardio workouts can have extended duration. However, HIIT is designed to perform explosive movements or sprints in a short period of time.
Benefits of HIIT
Experts vouch for HIIT and its benefits. No matter how short the duration of the workout is it can produce health benefits that are similar to one-hour moderate intensity workout.
- It allows you to get maximum health benefits in minimal time.
- HIIT is a very broad term for a variety of workouts that can be performed with interval training. Whether you like running, cycling, biking, or bodyweight exercises, you can design your own HIIT for weight loss and fitness purposes including your favorite exercise.
- Hit can burn a lot of calories in very little time. Researchers suggest that one can burn up to 30% more calories than the other traditional methods of exercising.
- It increases the metabolic rate for hours after exercise. So, it continues to burn calories after the workout. This is why HIIT weight loss results are faster.
- Not only does it help you burn calories and lose fat, it even tones your body to some extent. Depending on the kind of HIIT workout you choose, it can help you gain muscle mass and lose fat.
- HIIT boosts cardiovascular health.
- It improves muscles ability to use oxygen effectively.
- Other health benefits suggest that it keeps a check on heart rate and high blood pressure. Therefore, it is a highly recommended fitness regimen for obese and overweight people who are more susceptible to these problems.
- It reduces blood sugar level by improving insulin resistance.
- HIIT is great for building endurance and makes effective use of energy.
- It helps in removing toxic waste from muscles during the resting period.
- It can be performed without equipment and expensive gym membership.
Lastly, it challenges your body to perform better and take your fitness regime to the next level.
Tips To Starting HIIT Training for Weight Loss
HIIT can be challenging for beginners. So, here are a few tips to get started with HIIT exercises for weight loss.
- If you are a beginner, restrict the workout to one session a week. As you ease into the routine, you can perform it three times a week.
- Always remember to warm up and cool down for at least five minutes before and after the workout. This will keep your body from getting injured during the workout and developing any soreness after the workout.
- Wear the right gear. Your shoes and your clothes must be appropriate to your high-intensity workout. It should support your body well and must not restrict your movement.
- Keep the intervals for not more than two minutes. The key is to keep your heart rate fast.
- Take at least a gap of a day or two between HIIT sessions.
- Listen to your body and do not push it too hard that you find it difficult to recover.
- If you experience any kind of pains, start to cool down immediately.
- Add strength training workouts to your interval training for great results.
- Most importantly, eat well and sleep well. Fuel your body properly for rigorous efforts you are putting in and allow it to recharge with a goodnight’s sleep.
- When sprinting, do not go beyond 80% of your maximal sprint.
HIIT Workouts For Weight Loss
With HIIT workouts, you can lose weight in the shortest amount of time. It can help diminish body fat more effectively than any other form of exercise.
HIIT Exercises For Weight Loss: Program 1
Sprinting and Jogging: When it comes to weight loss, jogging and sprinting is a great way to shed fat and weight faster. Either in outdoors or on a treadmill at your fitness club, sprint at your best speed for at least 1 minute and then jog lightly for 2 minutes. Repeat this for at least 10 minutes. Do not stop moving between sprinting and jogging.
HIIT Exercises For Weight Loss: Program 2
Squat Jumps and Lunges: For Squat jumps, stand tall and keep your feet shoulder-width apart. Perform a regular squat by pushing your butt back, bending your knees, and engaging your core. And explode in a jump and return into a squat position. Do as many as you can for 45 seconds. Follow it up with lunges.
For Lunges, come back to standing position and stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Step one foot forward with your right knee bent. Hinge your glutes, engage your core, and lower yourself until the left knee comes closer to the ground. Then come back to standing position and repeat the movement with the other leg.
HIIT Exercises For Weight Loss: Program 3
Jump Ropes and Mountain Climbers: Combining these two calorie busters is a great way to shed off some fat.
Jump rope is an easy yet challenging workout. We have all performed this one at least once in our lives. Grab hold of a jump rope from both its ends. As you hold it, keep your hands roughly at the same distance. Stand with feet slightly wider than hip-width apart and begin to rotate the rope by your wrists as you jump over it. Do this for 30 seconds and follow it up with mountain climber.
Mountain climber is a killer exercise that will fire up all your muscles at once. Come on all four, get into plank position. Make sure your palms are under your shoulders and toes hip-width apart. Now pull your right knee into your chest and take it back as you switch it to the left knee and pull it into the chest. It should be like you are running on your all fours. Now repeat this movement for another 30 seconds.
HIIT Exercises For Weight Loss: Program 4
Burpees, Butterfly Kicks, and Mountain Climbers: It’s time you take your HIIT workout to the next level. So, start with Burpees by assuming a basic squat position. Now drop down with your palms on the floor and feet behind you. Perform a pushup and get back to a squat position. Complete the movement by jumping in the air and clapping overhead. Perform as many as you can for 30 seconds and move on to butterfly kicks.
Lie down on your back, keep your back straight and feet hip-width apart. Now raise your legs 10 inches above the ground and begin kicking your feet up and down. Perform this for 30 seconds and move on to mountain climbers as explained above.
HIIT Exercises For Weight Loss: Program 5
Renegade Rows, Russian Twists, and chin ups: For renegade rows, you must grab a pair of dumbbells or kettlebells. Place them on the floor on each side of your body at approximately shoulder-width distance. Now, assume a pushup position with your hands on the equipment. While shifting all your weight to one hand, lift the equipment in the other hand and start rowing. Repeat this with the other hand for 15 reps and follow it up with Russian twists.
For Russian twist, lie down on your back, keep your feet Shoulder-width apart. Grab hold of bumper plate or dumbbell of desired weight. Now, lift your upper body and form a V-shape. Twist your torso to right so much so that your arms are parallel to the floor. Perform this for 30 seconds and follow it up with chinups.
Grab hold of a sturdy chin up bar with an underhand grip. Now, lift your body up until your elbows are at the 90-degree angle and the bar is at chin level. Lower down your body and repeat the movement for 30 seconds.
HIIT is certainly the best workout for weight loss. However, you must remember to not overdo it. Also, consistency is the key. So, now that you know the quick way to that sculpted slim body, take your training shoes out and start your HIIT workout routine for weight loss, now.
Disclaimer: All exercise should be done under the supervision of certified professionals. If any medical condition exists, please do seek the advice of the physician to proceed with this exercise.